| - OTHER INTRESTING PLACES IN LINDOS|
|| The Naiskos of the Taxiarch Michael Stratelates below the village square. There is a shallow niche with a post-Byzantine representation of the Archangel Michael Psychopompos. The traces of earlier frescos date it to the Byzantine period.
West of it, near the remains of the Moslem cemetery, is a shallow niche containing the representation of a mounted saint, possibly 15th c. These remains are known as Ayios Georgios Kammenos.
The Church of the Panayia. The village church is oblong with a transverse nave of the free cruciform type. In 1489 Grand Master Pierre d'Aubusson gave money for the repair of the church and the construction of a groin-vaulted vestibule for it. The grand master's escutcheon and that of the commander of the castle, Pierre d'Aymer, can be seen on the south side of the smaller bell-tower. The frescos in the church are still preserved. The oldest inscription gives the date 1637. However, the painting in the church as a whole is listed as the work of the painter Gregorios from Symi, in 1779.
Ayios Georgios Chostos, an inscribed cruciform church with a cupola, is on the northwest edge of the village. In the apse of the sanctuary are five layers of fresco painting belonging to the post-Iconoclast period in the 2nd half of the 12th c., and to post-Byzantine times.
Ayios Georgios Pachymachiotis or Pano. This inscribed cruciform church with a cupola dates to 1394/95 according to an inscription on the south side of the front of the apse. It is decorated with full-figure saints in luxurious attire on the south wall of the church, hierarchs below the arch of the sanctuary and part of a representation of the Ascension in the vault.
Agios Menas is the same type as Ayios Georgios Chostos. It has interesting late 12th c. frescos which are late Komnene in style but 15th c. in date.
Ayios Demetrios is a small barrel-vaulted church northeast of the entrance to the Acropolis. In a blind apse on its north wall can be seen a 15th c. St Demetrios on horseback.
In the locality of Vigli under the east cliff of the Acropolis the mosaic floor and marble tiling of an Early Christian basilica have been found, dating to the 5th c.
|Related pages :|
THE TEMBLE OF ATHENA POLIAS
DORIC FOUNTAIN - HOUSE
CHURCH OF THE KNIGHTS PERIOD
OTHER ANCIENT AND BYZANTINE MONUMENTS OF IALYSOS
THE DORIC TEMPLE OF ATHINA LINDIA
RELIEF OF A DORIAN SHIP
PROPYLAEA OF THE SANTTUARY
REMAINS OF A ROMAIN TEMPLE
SEMIRCICULAR INCRIBED DAIS OF ROSSO ANTICO
THE BYZANTINE CASTLE
MEDIEVAL STAIRCASE TO THE GOVERNORS PALACE
EXCAVATIONS BY CARLSBERG INSTITUDE
RESTRORATION ON THE LINDOS ACROPOLIS
FOUR - PORTICO BUILDING
THE TOMB OF KLEOBOULOS
OTHER INTRESTING PLACES IN LINDOS
ACROPOLIS AND PRECINCT OF ATHENA KAMEIRAS
A FOUR SIDED SQUARE
PERIVOLOS OF THE ATLAS
A SEMICIRCULAR DAIS
SPAS AT KALITHEAS
ACROPOLIS OF RHODES
TEMPLE OF ATHENA POLIAS
TEMPLE OF PYTHIAN APOLLO
ANCIENT CEMETERY AT AGHIOS IOANNES
THE MOST IMPORTANT MOMUNETS ON THE SITE ARE
CHURCH OF AGHIA AIKATERINE (St. Catherine)
CHURCH OF AGHIA TRIADA (Holy Trinity)
CHURCH OD AGHIOS ATHANASSIOS (St. Athanase)
CHURCH OD AGHIOS GEORGIOS (St. George)
THE HERITAGE EDUCATIONAL CENTER OF ST. CATHERINE
THE MOST IMPORTANT EXHIBTS
OBJECTS RELATING TO THE GOVEMENT
COMMERCE - ECONOMY - COINAGE
NECROPOLIS - BURIAL CUSTOMS
DECORATIVE ARTS MUSEUM
HOTEL DES ROSES
THE BUILDING OF THE PREFECTURE
THE NATIONAL THEATRE OF RHODES
THE POST OFFICE
THE "AKTAION: AT MANTRAKI
VENETOKLEION HIGH SCHOOL OF RHODES
THE ASTIKE SCHOOL OF RHODES
KAZOULION GIRL'S SCHOOL OF RHODES
RODOS, DAUGHTER OF APHRODITE, WIFE OF HELIOS
THE NORTHERNMOST PART OF THE ISLAND
THE ANCIENT ACROPOLIS
STREET OF THE KNIGHTS BY NIGHT
THE MEDICINAL BATHS OF KALLITHEA
A WALK AMONG NARROW PATHWAYS
CLIMATE - TEMPERATURES
THE WEATHER NOW